Photos special to Fargo INC!
1 Million Cups | WEDNESDAYS
Every Wednesday, 9:15 – 10:15 a.m.
Join the vibrant entrepreneurial community of Fargo-Moorhead and Emerging Prairie by participating in an event filled with guest speakers, tons of coffee, ideas and excellent networking opportunities. Event is free.
The Stage at Island Park
333 4th St. S, Fargo
Big Iron Farm Show | SEPT. 12-14
Tuesday, September 12 – Thursday, September 14
In 1980, a farm equipment show took root in Casselton, North Dakota, with the idea of showcasing the latest in “big iron.” This was indeed the start of something big. One year later, with a successful inaugural event behind them, the Red River Valley Fair Association moved the event to the spacious West Fargo Fairgrounds.
Since then, the event has grown each year, from a farm equipment show to a three-day celebration of rural living—agribusiness, health, innovation and technology. In 2015, more than 70,000 attendees came from across the nation and several other countries to see demonstrations, visit more than 900 exhibit booths, connect with their peers and attend training sessions. Today, there is little doubt that Big Iron Farm Show is the event for agribusiness.
Red River Valley Fairgrounds
1805 Main Ave. W, West Fargo
Keys to Effective Communication | SEPT. 13
Wednesday, September 13, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
In this session, you’ll learn about the various forms of communication: phone, email, voicemail, face-to-face, and social media and how to make them more effective. You will also learn listening skills with a chance to practice.
In the session, you’ll learn:
That communication comes in many different formats—spoken, written and non-verbal
To assess your listening skills and take away areas for improvement
How to grasp the impact of communication as it relates to technology
Who should attend:
Everyone who works in an organization and has interactions with others, whether co-workers, customers or manages people
This training qualifies for two CPE credits for the ND CPA Society.
Registration (includes lunch)
- $30 Chamber members, in advance
- $35 Chamber members, at the door
- $40 Non-members, in advance
- $45 Non-members, at the door
Delta by Marriott
1635 42nd St. S, Fargo
United Way Kick-off Event: Be a Force for Good | SEPT. 14
Thursday, September 14, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. (kick-off) | 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. (social)
No one organization can solve complex community problems. The only way we can create real, lasting change is by innovating the way people, organizations and systems work together. That’s the power of our local United Way of Cass-Clay— the “Force for Good” that is around us every day. Join them. Change your community for good.
Register at UnitedWayCassClay.org/Events
There is no cost to attend.
Sanford Health Athletic Complex (SHAC) at NDSU
1300 17th Ave. N, Fargo
The Chamber’s Seventh Annual Meeting | SEPT. 19
Tuesday, September 19, noon – 1:30 p.m.
Bernie Dardis, a long-time Chamber member with strong roots in the region, has been named this year’s Legacy Leader. Dardis has been integral to the work of the Chamber, advocating on behalf of business interests in Bismarck, working for the entire Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo region, and playing a key role in the merger between the West Fargo Chamber and Fargo-Moorhead Chamber in 2010.
Dardis has served on the Chamber Board of Directors since 2010 and as chair in 2013-14.
Registration (includes lunch)
- $35 Chamber members, in advance
- $40 Chamber members, at the door
- $45 Non-members, in advance
- $50 Non-members, at the door
- $650 Corporate table
Past Legacy Leader Winners
- 2007: William C. Marcil, Sr.
- 2008: Frederick B. Scheel & Edward Stern
- 2009: Dr. Roland Dille & James R. McLaughlin
- 2010: John Q. Paulsen
- 2011: Ronald D. Offutt
- 2012: Bruce Furness
- 2013: Margie Bailly
- 2014: Alexander McDonald & Darrol Schroeder
- 2015: Morrie Lanning
- 2016: Roger Gilbertson
3803 13th Ave. S, Fargo
Job Service North Dakota Welcoming Week Workshop | SEPT. 19
Tuesday, September 19, 3 p.m.
Join for a panel of employers who hire refugees. Also, immigrants share their success stories and answer questions.
Please contact organizer Carey Fry with any questions:
Baymont Inn & Suites
3333 13th Ave. S, Fargo
CO.STARTERS | STARTS SEPT. 20
Starts Wednesday, September 20 (every week for nine weeks)
CO.STARTERS is a nine-week business development program that helps aspiring entrepreneurs put ideas into action and turn a passion into a sustainable and thriving small business.
- Week 1: Knowing yourself—assumptions, working styles, team-building, obstacles
- Week 2: Knowing your customer—problem, solution, benefit, competition, advantage, customer
- Week 3: Getting the relationship right—marketing and message and getting, keeping and growing customers
- Week 4: Building the model to scale—starting small, distribution, revenue, typical sale, price
- Week 5: Strengthening your structure—business structures, licenses, IP, hiring
- Week 6: Discovering the bottom line—startup and ongoing needs, fixed and variable costs, break-even point
- Week 7: Accounting for growth—break-even point, sales projections, cash flow, accounting
- Week 8: Planning for the future—raising capital, growth plans, goal-setting, pitch prep
- Week 9: Sharing your story
Fargo Course Schedule
- Fall class: September 20 – November 15
- Winter class: February 21 – April 18
Cost: $500, which includes:
- Course materials
- Professional course facilitator with office hours to address your business-development needs
- Access to a list of members of the business community who are ready to meet with students
- Small-business resources
- Discounted membership at the Prairie Den during the course
122 1/2 Broadway, Fargo
Startup Champions Network (SCN) Fall Summit | SEPT. 20-22
Wednesday, September 20 – Friday, September 22
A Few Details
Tuesday afternoon (optional event)
Possibilities symposium on social business, co-hosted by the Bush Foundation and Emerging Prairie. Registration will be complimentary for all summit attendees.
- 8 a.m. – Breakfast of Champions & Welcome
- 9 a.m. – 1 Million Cups Fargo
- 10:30 a.m. – Session
- 12 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:30 p.m. – Mayor’s summit on entrepreneurship, co-hosted by Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney
- Evening – A surprise!
- All Day – Mix of sessions from the Fargo Ecosystem and the Startup Champions
- Evening – A surprise!
- Morning – Sessions
- Noon – Wrap-up
Calibrating the Inner Compass: How to Lead in Alignment with your Guiding Principles | SEPT. 26
Tuesday, September 26, 3:30 – 5 p.m. | Social: 5 – 6 p.m.
Do you know what really ignites your soul?
Research shows this is a crucial question to answer. Individuals who are living in alignment with their guiding principles are more likely to feel fulfilled and achieve the loftiest of goals. Yet less than 20 percent of leaders report having a strong sense of their own individual purpose.
This session will take you on a mini journey of self-discovery. Dale Carnegie Performance Consultant Bethany Berkeley and Sundog Senior Client Consultant Chelsea Monda will provide resources to help you identify your true north and tools to begin leading with intention in all aspects of your life.
Note: This is part one of a two-part series. Come back October 18 for part two.
- $25 Chamber members, in advance
- $30 Chamber members, at the door
- $35 Non-members, in advance
- $40 Non-members, at the door
DoubleTree by Hilton & West Fargo Conference Center
825 East Beaton Drive, West Fargo
A Day in the Life: Poverty Simulation Volunteer Event
“A Day in the Life” is an interactive volunteer experience that depicts real-life scenarios faced by many of the families living in poverty in Cass and Clay Counties who are sometimes one paycheck away from homelessness or crisis.
Registration for the September sessions will open July 18.
Registration for the December session will open October 18.
- Session 1: September 19, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Session 2: September 27, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Session 3: December 7, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
All sessions are held at:
4550 42nd Ave S, Fargo