Spotlight Media is looking for an outgoing, deadline-driven and passionate person to fill the role of editor for Fargo INC! business magazine. Do you have a sense of what makes an entertaining, engaging and informative story? Do you love business and want to tell the stories of the Fargo business community? Are you deadline driven? Do you strive under pressure? If so, Fargo INC! could be the right spot for you.
The ideal candidate must have a good sense of what makes an interesting story, can juggle all the moving parts of publications and can handle the high stress world of a deadline business. They will plan, coordinate, review write and edit content. The ideal candidate will be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards.
This position is a mixture of management and writing. While they will be doing a good deal of writing, they must also be a good project manager and work with all available resources to finish the magazine. The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content and to stay true to the publication’s brand and identity. In this position, they will work on making sure the reader is informed and engaged.
* Submit previous writing samples with your resume.
- First and foremost, you must have a true love of the Fargo-Moorhead area and a desire to tell its story.
- Background in business is preferred
- Manage the overall process of creating magazine content
- Coordinate online or print-publishing cycle and manage content areas
- Set publication standards and maintain goals and expectations
- Develop stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
- Write upward of 10 articles a month
- Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces
- Recruit and manage contributors
- Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers, advertising reps, writers, artists, etc.
- Comply with media law and ethical guidelines
- Meet deadlines and budget requirements
- Previous editing experience
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent portfolio
- Hands on experience with InDesign, Photoshop or other publishing tools is preferred
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Excellent written skills in English
- An eye for detail, along with critical thinking
- Prioritizing and multitasking
- Degree in Journalism, business or related field
- Live in the Fargo-Moorhead area
- Have their own vehicle
- Medical Insurance (50% employer paid for employee)
- Dental and Vision Insurance (50% employer paid for employee)
- Vision Savings Pass (discount program)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% employer paid for employee)
- Volunteer Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Matching Charitable Donations
- 401K with employer match up to 3% (after one year of employment)